Great Lakes Chamber Music Festival – 2017
Under the direction of Artistic Director Paul Watkins, the 24th Annual Festival will explore the relationships between written and musical language in Music and Words, June 10-25, 2017. Among the international guest soloists and ensembles, musicians from our very own Detroit Chamber Winds & Strings will perform on Closing Night at the Seligman Performing Arts Center.
Join as we celebrate the 2017 Festival! Highlights include:
• The 20th Anniversary of the Catherine Filene Shouse Chamber Music Institute.
Among special activities, 3-4 young groups, including a Sphinx Apprentice
Ensemble, will participate under the direction of Philip Setzer.
• Two weeks of subscription and non-subscription performances around metro
Detroit, as well as immersive audience engagement events like “Musical Chairs,”
“Artistic Encounters,” “Beyond the Notes,” and “Music Meets Mindfulness.”
• The Emerson String Quartet will perform for audiences in a unique multidisciplinary
production of Shostakovich’s “The Black Monk” in collaboration with
Wayne State University and the Detroit Institute of Arts!
• We will welcome chamber superstars, among them Leila Josefowicz, Alessio Bax,
and Ran Dank.
• Founding Artistic Director James Tocco will return to delight audiences in his piano
• Two composers will join the Festival roster, including a Composer-in-Residence and
a young fellow who will give a world premiere of a new piece.
• We will collaborate with more gallery spaces in Detroit for cool, hip multidisciplinary
• Planning for our milestone 25th anniversary in 2018!